Monday, December 13, 2010

Pearls and flowers


Jose
C-Print
Yuma, Az 2011
I had wanted to photograph jose for quite some time.I was intrigued with his shy demeanor and androgynous physicality … he knew "things" but revealed nothing . When i expressed a intrest to photograph him with his mother, he immediately told me his mother was a curandera "witch" and therefore would not allow anyone to take her picture ,I was secretly pleased with this revelation. Jose eventually agreed to let me take a portrait and told me to meet him at his cousin Crystals house after school that day .

Crystal
C-Print
Yuma, Az 2011
When I arrived at the address Jose gave me , I walked up to a girl with amazing make-up, hoop earring and huge eyes , she was leaning into a truck window talking to this guy in the drivers seat . The truck had two huge L.A.s stickers on the back window . Jose later told me her name was Star . I asked her if Jose was around and she said yes but he went to pick up her sister Crystal from the bus stop and they should be back any minute . I explained who I was and asked if I could look in the back yard for areas to photograph? She said yes but i had to wait while she brought the pitbull into the house . When Star returned she had money in her hand and told me jose would be back soon . She left with money in her hand and the guy in the red truck with two huge L.A.s stuck on the back window .

Jose and Star
C-Print
Yuma, Az 2011
Finally jose arrived with his cousin crystal …to my delight she was a younger, tougher version of Star wearing a school uniform and penciled in eybrows . I had recognized the emblem on the school uniform from a alternative high school .Jose informed me that I could take Crystals picture as well . I was thrilled !

Untitled
C-Print
Yuma,Az 2011
Later as we photographed in the backyard with no grass , Star arrived and began arguing with her younger sister who was watching me ,Jose and Crystal take pictures...Jose later informed me that Star and Crystal were "pissed" because the girls mother had left to the city to bring thier grandmother back to live with them . Star kept saying "Its me or her" "Its me or her" meaning her grandmother . These girls were tough like pearls . During the enite shoot I could hear the crying of Crystals baby and Stars chanting "Its me or her" "I am out of here" "I am out of here"

Crystal and Jose on the side of the House
C-Print
2011
jmedina

No comments:

Post a Comment